Our Far North Qld program is for people seeking the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment in a unique and thoughtfully integrated program that balances the best of both face-to-face and online delivery methods without taking short cuts.
About the Program
Fortress Learning’s Face to Face Cairns Cert IV TAE program is based on the knowledge that many people wish to engage in a robust and rigorous program that includes both face to face and online components. These people are not afraid of a bit of hard work, and understand that finding a balance between both group and individual work is often ideal.
For that reason, this program integrates all the required skills and knowledge from the TAE40116 qualification into an enjoyable program that blends hands-on face to face delivery followed by ongoing supported online study and assessment.
Our course will suit people who:
- Currently train and assess in the workplace and who need to formalise their skills
- People in the workplace who would like to become Trainers and Assessors in their workplace or in a Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
- Existing Trainers and Assessors in RTOs
- Or simply those wishing to educate themselves further in Adult Education
- Our time efficient delivery provides you with face to face delivery of 10 business days in 2 x 1 week blocks.
- Most practical training sessions and group assessments are completed in class; there is no requirement for vocational placement within this course.
- There are assessment tasks that will need to be completed after the face to face delivery of the course. These include things like designing learning programs, developing assessment tools and demonstrating your knowledge.
- You are free to submit tasks as soon as they are completed.
- The course design is based on 5 clusters that you can complete one after the other, or break them to work around your current commitments to complete your course
|Days||Cluster Title||Description||Fee ($)|
|Note: Enrolling in the entire Cert IV TAE will be $2800, which is $350 less than enrolling in each cluster individually.|
|1-2||Design||Discover learning programs and how vocational education works in Australia.||600|
|3||Language, Literacy & Numeracy||Understand LLN and become familiar with the Australian Core Skills Framework||350|
|4-5||Deliver||Deliver dynamic training and conduct robust assessment to groups and in the workplace||800|
|6-8||Assess 1||Design & develop assessment tools and plan assessment processes||800|
|9-10||Assess 2||Assess competence and participate in validation processes||600|
Not after the full qualification? Perhaps you want to upgrade your existing qualification, or just study a Skill Set?
We’ve got you covered for those options too.
Please see below the various programs we offer, in addition to the full Certificate IV in Training & Assessment.
- Upgrade your TAE40110
- Study single units such as TAELLN411 or TAEASS502
- Enterprise Trainer and Assessor Skill Set
- Assessor Skill Set
- Enterprise Trainer – Presenting Skill Set
- Custom programs to suit your requirements
Talk to us regarding your individual requirements. If you are upgrading your TAE40110, don’t forget to provide a certified copy of your qualification certificate, including the units studied.
The table below shows which Clusters you would need to do to complete each of these programs, including the fee.
Enrolment Period (months)
Enterprise Trainer and Assessor Skill Set (TAESS00015)
Deliver (2 days)
Enterprise Trainer-Presenting Skill Set (TAESS00014)
Deliver (2 days)
Assessor Skill Set (TAESS00011)
Assess 1 (3 days)
Assess 1 (3 days)
Assess 1 (3 days)
LLN (1 day)
LLN (1 day)
Assess 1 (2 days)
LLN (1 day)
When are they on?
For Cairns, click HERE.
For Townsville, click HERE.
Fortress Learning’s Face to Face Cert IV TAE program in Cairns is scheduled to commence on the following 2020 dates, subject to numbers:
10 days (Refer to days below for the five clusters that make up the Full Course)
FULL 9 - 11
Single Units (not required if you are doing the Full Course):
Further 2020 dates will be added once they become available.
Start and Finish Times:
We will commence at 8.30am and finish at about 4.30pm.
We’ll break for morning and afternoon tea, and also for lunch.
Total Management & Training
30 Minnie Street (Cnr Minnie and Water Streets), Cairns
Details of Fortress Learning’s Face to Face Cert IV TAE in Townsville are available from HERE.
(If that seems a bit odd, it is because Townsville and Cairns used to be combined, but now they are separate)
Tina has been a Q-Comp Workplace Rehabilitation Coordinator and a Qld Workplace Health and Safety Officer as well as holding qualifications in Business Management, Training Design and Development, Vocational Education and Training, Training & Assessment, and Work Health & Safety. Tina currently sits on the Regional Advisory Committee for the Institute of Managers and Leaders. She is past Secretary and Treasurer of the Far North Queensland Safety Group, past Senior Field Officer for the State Emergency Service, past President of the SES Buchan Point Support Group Inc., has sat on the Board of the Australasian Aviation Group – Cairns, was Sub-Editor of the Australian Legal Practice Management Journal and past State Delegate for RSPCA Tasmania Inc.
Tina spends her ‘leisure time’ attempting to coordinate a crazy, over-sized but under-brained German Shepherd, a slightly wonky and equally crazy Collie x Ridgeback, an expensive and demanding Maine Coon (that’s a big cat who eats a lot for those not in the know), a very bossy and overweight black rescue kitten, and a husband.
You can expect a high level of support both during and following the face to face component. This will be detailed on Day 1, and will include:
- helpful response times for things like emails, phone calls and assessment of your submissions
- clear and thoughtful answers to your questions
- random contact from us to see how you are going
You will also have direct access to support through:
- our Facebook Discussion Group
- online chat
- email and phone support
- the option to attend further face to face components (subject to availability of places in those courses)
Deliver to groups and individuals
This qualification requires you to deliver multiple training sessions as part of your assessment tasks. You will need to have access to two individuals to practise your delivery, and receive feedback from them. You will also need to have access to two more groups of people. One group must have a minimum of 8 learners in it, whilst the other group must have a minimum of three learners in it. Undertaking this qualification does assume you are in a workplace and have access to these numbers of learners.
You will also need to have suitably qualified observers who ideally hold a TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment or similar such qualification or experience, to observe you delivering your sessions. If you don’t have a qualified observer to watch you and fill in the observation check list, then you will need video recording facilities to record your training delivery for each session. Smartphones are usually sufficient for this.
For those who may not have access to these groups of people, we will be coordinating a ‘TAE Presentation Days’ in the various regions. You are welcome to attend these sessions, however please note the following:
- they will only go ahead if minimum numbers are met (i.e. enough students who wish to do their presentations)
- there is a cost to attend these sessions and present your topic
You will need access to not less than five separate individuals on which to practise and conduct assessment. The assessments must be undertaken under the supervision of a qualified assessor and cover an entire unit of competency for each candidate, including:
- the application of different assessment methods and instruments involving a range of activities and events
- using two-way communication and feedback with the candidate
- exercising judgement in making the assessment decision
- recording and reporting assessment outcomes in accordance with the assessment system and organisational, legal and ethical requirements
- reviewing the assessment process
You must utilise a recognition of prior learning (RPL) process in the assessment of at least one candidate (which may be one of the five candidates above) and you must make reasonable adjustments in the assessment of at least one candidate (which may be one of the five candidates above).
Please note that we will provide you with access to these five individuals as part of your study with our organisation at no charge, if you have enrolled in our full qualification or clusters.
If you are not enrolled with us and require this service, you will need to enrol in and attend our Assess Cluster – 2 to participate in the assessing of individuals.
The entire duration of enrolment is: 12 months for the full Cert IV TAE program
This includes two components:
The face to face component: 10 days
The online/distance component: the remainder of the enrolment period
Those enrolling in skill sets, individual units, or upgrading, will have differing durations depending on the number of units involved. For instance, skill sets and upgrades are generally a 6 month enrolment, whereas single units have a 3 month enrolment.
How does it work?
The initial face-to-face portion of the course will take 2 weeks. This provides the foundation learning for the program, and also includes a considerable amount of the practical assessment components, especially those that require access to other people
Following the face -to-face component, your learning will continue and you will have further assessment tasks to complete. The pace at which you complete these is up to you, although experience tells us that many people will require 6 months, but we do allow up to 12 months so you can fully immerse yourself in the program, and better juggle the program with other components of your life.
What will affect how long my TAE Cert IV will take?
Experience tells us that the following factors will affect the time it takes to complete this course:
- Experience – if you have experience in training/assessing, then you will likely not need as long as people without experience
- Dedication – if you have a good reason to do the course, and can hold yourself accountable, then you will likely not need as long as people who are less committed
- Other commitments – if you have a busy life with many competing professional and personal demands, then you will likely need longer than those people with fewer demands.
All assessments are based on real life workplace scenarios, meaning that there is no requirement for assessments to be completed in a particular workplace. Ultimately, you will have 12 months from the beginning of your course to complete and submit your assessment tasks.
What do I need to bring to class?
Yourself of course, but you will also need to bring to class your laptop or tablet. Please note touch-pads are problematic with this course, so please bring a mouse. Please do not bring an iPad, as this will not work for this course.
It is expected you will be familiar with the technology you bring, and will be able to access and research on the Internet, as well as upload, download and save files without assistance. You will also need to be able to access and use Microsoft Word and a .pdf Reader.
Photo ID, pens and paper for taking notes is also a good idea. You will be provided with soft copy resources at the beginning of the course and a series of hard copy handouts throughout.
A student fridge and microwave is available for those who wish to bring their own lunch, otherwise there are food outlets in the general vicinity to buy lunch.
What do I need to wear?
As you will spend a lot of time sitting in class, you will need to wear something that is comfortable but suitable for a professional classroom environment.
The Complete Certificate
The fee for the full TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment program is $2800. This is payable as follows:
- $1500 on enrolment, and prior to course commencement
- $1000 after 90 days
- the balance after a further 90 days, or on exit if you are ready to graduate earlier
Fees for individual clusters vary based on length. These are shown in the How is the program structured tab, above.
What does it include?
This fee includes all materials that will be required during the program, including learning resources, assessment materials and support.
What about Credit Transfer?
We are able to award Credit Transfer where a unit you have completed previously is an equivalent version of the one included in this program. However, because our program is delivered and assessed holistically, it is not likely that just 1-2 units would make much difference to what your program involves. For this reason, the fee is not reduced unless you are able to obtain Credit Transfer for an entire Cluster. If you are not sure, then the best thing is to have a chat with your Trainer about this – you are welcome to email us directly to get their thoughts on this before you enrol.
We like our students to be successful. For that reason, we invite you to follow these steps to begin:
- Complete the Suitability-Self Assessment Checklist, because it is not in your interests – or ours – for people to enrol in programs of study that are in any way unsuitable for them.
- Once you are comfortable with the items on that Checklist, then you may complete the Enrolment Form.
- The enrolment form will direct you to our Booking Form where you may choose classroom dates which suit your schedule.
- Make your first payment, either online or phone with credit card, or via bank deposit. If your course starts very soon, then paying by credit card over the phone is probably the best way to ensure that the payment is received in time for your place to be confirmed for your chosen course date.
- Get things started. Once we have received your enrolment form, booking form and payment, we will confirm your place, verify your USI and get things moving along within 24 hours.
If at any time you are not certain of how to proceed or what is happening, then just let us know and we can work it through together.
For further information about this program, you are welcome to use the following form to ask a question.