Do I need to Upgrade my Cert IV TAE?

With the publication of the TAE40116 Cert IV TAE comes the question about upgrading.

Let’s take a look.

What are the differences?

New core units: The newer Cert IV TAE has the LLN411 and ASS502 units as Core.

Changes to old units: A couple of other units have been changed a bit, which means that they are not equivalent.  These are ASS401 and ASS403.

29/8/17 Update:  Fortress Learning has approval to deliver the new TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment.  Details about how to do that are available HERE.

I have the Cert IV TAE40110 – what will I have do to upgrade?

The first thing is to complete the LLN411 and ASS502 units.

Then, if you have been working as a trainer/assessor, when the new Cert IV is available you can enrol in that and do a brief RPL exercise to fill in the gaps for the units that changed a little bit.  If you cannot do this via RPL, then some further work may be needed to complete it.Do I need the new TAE40116 Cert IV in Training-Assessment_FortressLearning_1_small

When can I get the new Cert IV?

29/8/17 Update:  Fortress Learning has approval to deliver the new TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment.  Details about how to do that are available HERE.  

Not yet.

Because the new Cert IV TAE is not equivalent to the one you already have (or are doing), RTOs need to apply to have it added to their Scope of Registration.  This will take time, and because ASQA has said that they will be applying additional scrutiny surrounding these applications, this will likely take more time.  To see what is involved in applying, check this out:

I don’t want to wait until the last minute – what can I do to get started?

If you wish to move toward gaining the new Cert IV, then our recommendation is to:

  1. Complete the LLN411 unit – Learn more
  2. Complete the ASS502 unit – Learn more

We can assist you with both of these.

Then, when the new Cert IV is on scope, finalise ASS401 and ASS403 and gain credit for the rest of the units to attain the qualification.

Do I even need to Upgrade? What do the Standards say?

The Standards for RTOs 2015 say that Trainers/Assessors need to hold the Cert IV TAE40110 or its successor.  That means that your Cert IV TAE40110 is still good to be a trainer/assessor within an RTO.  The exception there is if you assess the Cert IV TAE, in which case you will need the Dip VET.

Note:  since the time of writing, the Standards for RTOs (2015) have changed. 

The Standards now require that, by April of 2019, all Trainers/Assessors possess either:

  • TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment, which includes TAELLN411 and TAEASS502, OR
  • TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment, plus TAELLN411 and TAEASS502, or their equivalent predecessors.

You can also hold a TAE Diploma, or higher level adult education qualification.

Take a look at the flow chart above for a simple view of it all.

Would you like us to keep you posted about developments with the new TAE?

Add your details below and we will keep you updated as new information comes to hand.  What we won’t do is hammer your inbox with spam … promise!

First name

Can I just talk to someone?

Sure.  Give us a call on 1300 141 994 and we can talk about your situation and how you are affected.

Useful links:

Information about the new Cert IV TAE40116 Upgrade program is available from here:

Spread the love